Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Let the Countdown Begin...

26 August 2008: Today we headed back to Dr. Bakos' office, for the "Okay, the baby's not here yet; let's talk" appointment. After a short ten minute wait (no interesting articles this time), we headed in for the sonogram. Today, we were joined by Carrie's parents, who got in Saturday afternoon.

After jellyin' the belly, the sonogram started. "The head is down, so that's good." Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Well, she rolled around Carrie's big beach ball, and did the usual checkups. Layla's heart rate is around 150, which is great. We saw fingers and her face, and again, the vag. I don't know why this tech is insistant on showing us the vag every time; we get it. She's a... she.

Then came time for the measurements. After doing the very scientific point-and-clicks that the tech does, she said, "...and put all that together and we get 9.1 pounds."

HOLY SHIT.

Remember, folks, the baby is still inside Carrie. I wasn't surprised, frankly. I was surprised in my accuracy in predicting the weight today, though. After the first two sonograms, I did an estimated per-day weight gain, based on my experiences with the cattle. Yeah, it sounds archaic, but it's freakin' accurate. I estimated her at 9 pounds, 2 ounces on this date, and she is 9 pounds, 1.6 ounces. Man, I'm good...

Epidural is sounding better and better.

I wanted to share the video of the sonogram, but since it's nearly half a gig and I don't have an FTP set up to let you watch it while I host it, you're out of luck. Sorry; I'll figure out someway to screenshot it or something. Windows sucks (and that's a whole other blog, too).

We got back upstairs and saw the doc. She said that Carrie is about 2 cm dialated, so we will have to induce. We have set up an appointment for Thursday morning at 6 am to go to the hospital and get the ball rolling, so to speak. Now we're preparing for the longest day of our lives... Carrie's already taking a nap. I think she's a bit overloaded after all that. I can't imagine what is going through her head. I'd be scared poopless, frankly, to imagine pushing something that big out of my body. I'm here for her, though, and her parents as well, and for those of you lamenting us being so many miles away, we do feel your hugs and hear your prayers. Thanks to all of you; from the heart.

So now we wait... again. Layla definitely has my "I don't wanna get outta bed" genes, that's for certain. I'll be filling in loads of bloggy goodness on Thursday, when Bump Watch '08 goes live on location. Be sure to tune in on any of my blogs; http://iceburgtx.blogspot.com/, www.myspace.com/iceburgtx or on the Facebook for a link. I'm taking the webcam, so for those of you with MSN messenger access, add me at iotapsi94@hotmail.com and you'll be able to join in the conference. I've also got skype (Iceburgtx), and I may use that as well.

Here we go, kids; the ride has been quick, but we're coming up on the big finish!

Love,
D

No comments: